It’s so horrifying to see an elderly man with a cane in zip ties being led away by police isn’t it? Really tugs on those heartstrings. Those evil Republicans are having people arrested. Not just any people either — the elderly! My. God. The. Horror.
Yes, it’s a tear jerker…Except that this man volunteered.
Meet Robert Plummer. He’s 83 and a Korean War Veteran. He’s from Carthage, North Carolina and he volunteered. He went to a meeting before the Moral Monday on July 22nd and signed up to be arrested. He was even given a nice green arm ribbon so he was identifiable to the General Assembly police and his fellow protesters.
Look closer at the original picture for yourself via Andrew Dye at Journal Now and note the green ribbon on the arm the police officer is holding:
These arrests are choreographed. Let’s be clear:
The only purpose behind these arrests is to draw more media attention. It’s not about having a dialogue. It’s not about defiance. It’s about press coverage for what boils down to a temper tantrum over control. It’s about the spotlight on Reverend Barber — the man who, with a straight face, compared Trayvon Martin to Emmett Till.
That is not civil disobedience. That is show business.
Back to Plummer the Volunteer
Like all the others from Moore County who’ve been arrested, Plummer praised officers for the way they handled his arrest.
“I must say law enforcement treated us so nicely. I have never seen such courtesy from law enforcement. I was a union president and marched with King across the Pettis Bridge. There was a difference of 180 degrees.” Source – The Pilot
Let’s just put aside that the group touting “MORAL” in the name of their protest is out collecting the elderly as props to line up and be arrested and hit the original poster in the facts:
- The image has nothing to do with Democracy and everything to do with propaganda.
- No Republican was involved in his arrest.
- Plummer was not mistreated, rather quite the opposite as the man stated himself.
By Plummer’s own account, he seems rather happy to be protesting again ‘like the old days’ and is former secretary of the NAACP — the very organization running Moral Mondays. He’s also a former union president. To be certain, I’m not making light of his participation nor his right to do so. I am questioning motives a bit though. Mr. Plummer doesn’t mention specifics, just that things are being done ‘in the dark’. Perhaps it’s the NAACP keeping him and others like him in the dark? NC NAACP’s Reverend Barber is well-known for his theatrics and rhetoric, not so much for sticking to facts. Related: #MoralMondays: Rev. Barber Politicizes Martin Verdict (video)
An even better question: Have you read it?
Don’t believe the romanticized, fact-light drive by reports, the local NC Media, Twitter or even this blog. Read the Bills Yourself. Make up your own mind.
Search for bills at the NC General Assembly.
- House Bill 589 Information/History (2013-2014 Session) – VoterID
- House Bill 937 Information/History (2013-2014 Session) – Amend Various Firearms
- House Bill 695 Information/History (2013-2014 Session) – Foreign Law – Abortion
- Senate Bill 353 Information/History (2013-2014 Session) – Motorcycle Safety & Abortion Amendments
- Moral Monday Protester Database
- #S353 Passes 3rd Reading At NCGA
- Stay Classy: NC Dem Rhetoric On Twitter Over #HB589
Local Bloggers Covering the Reality of Moral Mondays:
Related Articles By LL1885:
- #MoralMondays: July 22nd Edition (snore)
- #MoralMondays: July 15th Edition
- #MoralMondays: July 8th Edition
- #MoralMondays: July 1st Edition Updates
- #MoralMondays: July 1st Edition
- #MoralMondays: Take Movement National to “Restore #VRA”
- #MoralMondays: June 24th Edition
- #MoralMonday and @WRAL Get Owned by Civitas
- #MoralMonday: @WRAL In Full CYA Mode For NAACP, Lefties
- #MoralMonday: Transparency Fail by Wake Sheriff, Courts
- #MoralMonday : June 10 Arrests Edition
- @WRAL Beclowns Itself In Debunk Attempt of #MoralMonday Attendance
- #MoralMondays: June 10 Edition
- #MoralMondays: The SEIU Factor
- #MoralMondays: Those who want to be arrested attend a ‘meeting’.
- #MoralMondays: Costing Taxpayers 11k and counting; Bonus – Names of Arrestees
- #MeltdownMonday – June 3rd Edition Arrests
- #MeltdownMonday – June 3rd Edition
- #MeltDownMonday – Wake County Dems Praise Protests
- Democrats Are Melting Down In NC