School threats are the new “Me Too” and still going on at a steady rate in North Carolina despite the recent ‘walk out’. I’ve been keeping track of school threats for the last month or so.
Here’s the latest set of NC school threats, one of which ironically kept students from participating in the ‘walk out’. Also, stay with me as I cover Roy Cooper’s latest stunt.
- Broughton High School postpones walkout after social media threat
- NC mom upset over her son’s punishment threatened to bomb his school, police say
- Man accused of threatening to carry out a shooting at a North Carolina school
- Deputies: 2 Henderson Co. students to be charged as adults for school threat
On Wednesday, students in NC ‘walked out’ to protest gun violence. It was liberal activism and anti-NRA propaganda run amok mostly. Read about it here in my article yesterday: Liberal Activism Alive and Well as NC Students ‘Walk Out’
Check out Twitchy and Pete Kaliner’s show prep from yesterday for some interesting national tweets about the ‘walk out’. His segment also makes a good segue into a related topic: Roy Cooper.
Never Let a Good Crisis Go To Waste
Also on Wednesday, Governor Roy Cooper decided that now was the time not to let a good crisis go to waste.
What better way to distract from the fact Cooper is refusing to answer questions about his slush fund and that the NC GOP has filed a federal complaint about Cooper’s pipeline slush fund?
Therefore, the Governor was off to pen another blog post at Medium and WRAL made sure to trumpet it out.
Cooper’s post asks for “extreme risk protection orders” to “empower people to ask the courts to take guns temporarily from an individual who is a danger to themselves or the community.”
Cooper says NC background checks are tight, but then jumps on the AR-15 “Assault weapon” bandwagon:
But our law has a glaring loophole since this background check and permit process isn’t required to buy an assault weapon like an AR-15, the weapon used in Parkland. It should be.
Cooper continues to call the AR-15 rifle an “assault weapon” and says that NC should raise the age for buying a rifle to 21 and as an added bonus Cooper invokes the federal government’s lack of action. The same federal government who twice failed to stop Cruz in Parkland.
Until the federal government takes action to discontinue the sale of assault weapons to civilians, North Carolina law should be updated to raise the legal age of sale of these weapons to age 21 and require anyone buying them — at a store, online, or at a gun show — to go through the same background check and permitting process as they would for a handgun.
By yesterday evening, Cooper had also sent out an email asking people to sign a petition using the ACT BLUE platform. The petition doesn’t say who the names will be sent to, but rest assured your email address has been added to his campaign fundraising list.
Fun Fact: In 2015 when Cooper was NC Attorney General, he was the co-author of the most recent revision of NC Firearm Laws. Our laws were apparently just fine then.
You must be logged in to post a comment.