This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
Prior Edition of Weekend Reads: 2-8-15
NC Academic Standards Review Commission (ASRC) Updates:
NC ASRC Site
Next ASRC meeting: February 16th, 1-5 pm. Be aware, location published for February is Dept. of Administration, but January’s meeting was moved on short notice to Dept. of Public Instruction. READ: Common Core ASRC Meeting Details for February 16th
- NC Book Assignment On Black Panthers Draws Controversy (More here)
- Common Core Math?
- Politico: NC DPI gives no-bid contracts to no-good Pearson
APUSH: Deadline for public comment is approaching!
If you wish to propose evidence-based changes to the AP US History Curriculum Framework, please do so from October 1, 2014 through February 28, 2015. After that time, all collected feedback will be reviewed and considered by the AP U.S. History Course and Exam Development Committee. If you have any additional questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
CP: I saw recently that you do not support Common Core. What is your main concern — federal involvement? The standards themselves? All of the above?
Fiorina: America’s future prosperity requires that changes be made to Common Core. The facts are pretty clear, the bigger our education department becomes, the worse our public education becomes. There’s no connection between spending more money in our nation’s capital and a better school system. Parents should be given choice, competition, and accountability in the classroom. Teaching entrepreneurship, innovation, risk taking, and imagination comes with local control and we have to maintain this in our school system.
-Christian Post, Interview: Potential GOP Presidential Candidate Carly Fiorina Talks Abortion, Common Core, Gay Marriage and Her Christian FaithThe vigilant mom warns parents nationwide: “While we are being treated like serfs of the State, Pearson publishing is raking in billions off our children.” And she is not going to just lie down and surrender because some bloviating suits told her “it’s the law.”– National Review Online, Michelle Malkin – Choose to Refuse on PARCC/SBAC Testing
Heather Crossin, anti-Common Core Indiana activist, said in an email to Breitbart.com, “It is apparent that since Gov. Pence is considered to be contemplating a presidential run, he will have to start answering to the nation about what occurred in [Indiana] on Common Core. As a Republican candidate seeking the Oval Office, he will have a hard time explaining that with a Republican supermajority and an appointed [State Board of Education], tweaking and rebranding Common Core was the best he could do.”
– ElkhartTruth.com, Common Core becomes a minefield for Indiana’s Mike Pence
- Statement by Burke, Evers, Rebarber, Stotsky, and Wurman on ESEA
- NGA Wish List For ESEA Reauthorization – No surprises here
- Maryland Mom Sues School Over Common Core Testing
- Common Core Bill Filed In NY
- NJ Legislature Works On PARCC ‘Opt Out’ Bill
- Kansas Files Common Core, Data Privacy Bill
- North Dakota House Votes To Stay In Common Core Test Consortium
- Mississippi Senate Kills Common Core Repeal Bill
- Common Core Review Bill Filed in New York Assembly
- Arkansas lieutenant governor will lead Common Core task force
- A Weak Slate of Common Core Related Bills in Connecticut
- Jeb Quits Saying ‘Common Core’. Hopes Parents Forget?
- Bobby Jindal on Anti-Common Core Moms: ‘I Wouldn’t Bet Against Them’
- Meet the Mississippi Lawmaker Every Anti-Common Core Activist Needs
- Common Core: How Many Teachers And Parents Have To Leave?
- Hotel Common Core: You can never leave
- The Latest PR Piece in The Atlantic Magazine for Common Core…Wait for It! Who Gave Money to this Magazine? (More – see Tweets of the Week)
THE WEEKEND READS:
- Creeping Edufascism
- Know Your History and You Can See What Education Reform Really Means. It’s Not ‘For the Kids’.
- Parents Against The Common Core: Moms are wiping the floor with Policy Wonks
- Erin Tuttle: Common Core Reaches Into Private Schools
- Quiz: Can you answer these Common Core elementary questions?
- Parents share frustration over Common Core homework
- Is Obama Trying to Get Around a Big Common Core Complaint?
- What It’s Like to Take a Common Core Test
- Parents Against PARCC and Common Core
- Parents revolt against Common Core PARCC test
VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
- “But she is informed, super-savvy, and driven by her love for her children.”
- APP Education Director Emmett McGroarty highlighted the inconsistencies and lack of college readiness inherent in the Common Core State Standards.
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
— Joy Pullmann (@JoyPullmann) February 13, 2015
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) February 13, 2015
— Senator Rand Paul (@SenRandPaul) February 11, 2015
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) February 11, 2015
— Truth in American Ed (@TruthinAmEd) February 10, 2015