These are the Common Core Weekend Reads for February 22, 2015.
This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
Prior Edition of Weekend Reads: 2-15-15
NC Academic Standards Review Commission (ASRC) Updates:
- DPI seeks feedback on Common Core standards from NC parents and community
- NC’s CCSS Survey Now Open!
- Surveys and Common Core Commission Funding
- More PR From EducationNC
- When did North Carolina drop from governing to affiliate member of SBAC?
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
”Rupert Murdoch (who once claimed ed was a $500 billion industry) and happens to own DIBELS, also decided to raise the bar for children. Under the guise of Common Core, the cut scores for DIBELS have been changed. For instance, pre Common Core a 1st grader was expected to read 40-64 words per minute. Under the Common Core, they are now expected to read 69+ words per minute.
There is no money to be made in labeling children as successful, but labeling them failures has continued to fuel the perceived crisis in education and increases profits.”
-Lace To The Top,DIBELS Raises Common Core Cut Scores to Show More Students Below Grade Level
- Montana Joins Common Core Fight
- Washington State Joins Common Core Fight
- Common Core Replacement Bill Advances in the Arizona House
- “Save Our Students” Bill Filed in West Virginia Legislature
- Student Success Act Does Not Repeal Common Core. States Must Take the Lead.
- Action Alert: Student Success Act moves forward for a vote in the House
- Throwing Title I Funds Out The Window
- Bills on Parents’ Rights, Common Core Introduced (Idaho)
- Common Core Review Council Deadline (Arkansas)
- Kasich Goes to SC, Insults Millions
- Down The Rabbit Hole With Lamar Alexander
- Bev Perdue Amazed By 2nd Grade Common Core Math
- FL Teacher Who Refused to Test Her Class made Teacher Of The Year
- A fellow Republican calls out Ohio Gov. Kasich about Common Core
- Parents aim to ‘Stop Common Core’ in Oregon
- Introducing Institutionalized Racism, Privilege and Social Justice in Physics Class
- Fordham Creates New Subset in Ed Reform Wars: Now the Common Core Naysayers Include Progressive Liberal Atheist Moms
- Policy Wonks. They Just Don’t Get it.
- More Proof Moms Are Wiping the Floor with Policy Wonks
THE WEEKEND READS:
- This Mom Threw Her Daughter an Educational Life Preserver. She is Homeschooling.
- Turning Education Into What Businesses, Not Children, Need
- What is the purpose of education?
- Common Core Owner: NCLB Should ‘Align Education With Needs of Businesses’
- Do you Know How/If ‘Guidance & Counseling’ Goals are Required in Your State?
- Common Core Aligned: ‘Scaffolding Apps’
- WSJ again misses the mark on Common Core battle
- SFUSD to let students test out of Algebra 1 in high school after parents raise concerns
- PARCC Practice Exam May Cause Rage Headache
- New Jersey Teachers Union Runs Ads Against the Standardized Testing of Common Core
- A superintendent says refusing Common Core tests is ‘dangerous.’ A mom says he’s wrong.
VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
- George Will: Jeb Is Missing Point of Common Core Opposition
- Jane Robbins debates Advanced Placement bill on MSNBC
- Interesting Video on Education
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
@DataDiva Physics is hard enough without injecting ‘social justice’ into it. Why can’t teachers just TEACH the subject? @NRO
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) February 17, 2015
Common Core is causing the best teachers to quit http://t.co/aikdyJhFvp #CommonCore #StopCommonCore
— FreedomWorks (@FreedomWorks) February 16, 2015
Could you be more arrogant, assuming & insulting? MT @MichaelPetrilli: One size fits most, even in the suburbs http://t.co/BT6KxNDi9B
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) February 16, 2015
@michellemalkin @LadyLiberty1885 #commoncore STDs. Having fun at Lincoln Reagan days. pic.twitter.com/ZrTKIbd8Tv
— Logue (@manateespirit) February 21, 2015
Pingback: The Common Core Weekend Reads – 03-08-15 | Lady Liberty 1885