NC Parents Slaps Down Absurd News and Observer Homeschooling Article

UPDATE: Welcome Carolina Plott Hound Readers!

News and Observer recently had an article titled “NC Homeschools and The Common Good” up.

I read it.  I laughed. What a pile of steaming liberal crap.

It’s authored by “Leslie Maxwell of Durham is a writer and adjunct professor of English.”
I Lib Logichumbly suggest Leslie stick to English and butt out of parents doing what is best for their kids.  By the way, her ‘war on women‘ attempt was thin at best. Maxwell apparently teaches at Meredith.

The net-net of the homeschool article was that this Leslie Maxwell person clearly is panicked that people might be teaching their kids on their own and how dare they be so selfish as to only be concentrating on their own children. The Horror.  It’s a pile of “all your kids belong to us” crap we’ve heard from the likes of  tampon earrings aficionados. No idea if Leslie has kids of her own or if she’s just worried about everyone else’s here.

While I promptly discarded this article after reading it, another NC parent had quite a bit to say on the matter and with their permission, I am reposting their comment below the fold .

It wasn’t just this one parent, a lot of people had something to say.  Folks should hit the article and read the rest of the comments — A vast majority gave Ms. Maxwell a verbal thrashing. In fact, I couldn’t find one that praised the article. One comment in particular nailed it, “Nice try implicating homeschoolers in NC for the ills of the public school system, but it does not fly.” Another made me chuckle with, “It’s a rare person that can insult all parents’ school choices in one blow.

Aug 22nd, 10:40pm

Rarely do I respond to the N&O but I felt strongly compelled to respond. NC homeschools and abandoning the common good….Really? In an opinion piece in the News & Observer it stated: When parents are committed only to their own child’s education that affects communities for whom schools have long been a source of unity. What does that do to education in North Carolina, education in the United States?

First of all, to suggest that I am only committed to my own child’s education because of our families choice to homeschool is false. To answer the question: Expanding school choice is the single best strategy for improving education for all children. A competitive education marketplace improves educational outcomes, not just for my children but for all children. School choice encourages parents to be involved and parental involvement improves academic achievement.

The fact is NC Homeschools Improve NC as opposed to NC Homeschools Abandon the Common Good. Educating a child in the environment that is best for that child’s unique learning styles is much more productive for our society. When parents have the choice to public school, charter school, private school, homeschool, or other alternative non-traditional education, society as a whole benefits . When students are left to fail that does not help any community. We already know that academic failure leads to poverty, crime and many other statistics which drag down a community. As a former public school teacher and now homeschooling for the past 13 years, I have firsthand experience on both sides of the fence. As a parent, I have the right, as well as the responsibility, to direct my children’s education and upbringing in a manner consistent with my beliefs and with my knowledge of my child’s unique needs, talents, and abilities.

The United States Supreme Court has recognized the importance of parental rights and has repeatedly held that parents possess the “fundamental right” to “direct the upbringing and education of their children.” The Court said: “[T]he child is not the mere creature of the State: those who nurture him and direct his destiny have the right coupled with the high duty to recognize and prepare him for additional obligations.”

It is not uncommon for testing data from nationally-normed standardized achievement tests to demonstrate that some students pulled from public school tested mildly to severely delayed. After homeschooling and parents basically creating individualized instruction plans for their children, these same students have tested average to above average, and in some cases advanced! This comes down to parental choice that made the difference from a failing student to a successful student. It is important to note that test data demonstrates this in all socio-economic classes. There is a plethora of professional resources that can assist parents in making wise academic choices for teaching at home. Yes, I am committed to the education of my own children and in return I am making a commitment to the rest of the children in NC by my choice.

Angie Cutlip

Advertisements

About A.P. Dillon

A.P. Dillon is a Co-Founder and Managing Editor at American Lens. She resides in the Triangle area of North Carolina and is the founder of LadyLiberty1885.com. Her past writing can also be found at IJ review, Breitbart, FOX news, Da Tech Guy Blog, Heartland Institute, Civitas Institute and StopCommonCoreNC.org. Find her on Twitter: @APDillon_
This entry was posted in Education, Err What?, Homeschool, LadyLiberty1885, News and Observer, Parental Rights, Poltical Correctness, Random Musings, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to NC Parents Slaps Down Absurd News and Observer Homeschooling Article

1. janamurray says:

Reblogged this on janamurray and commented:

2. Michelle says:

It seems like the biggest flaw in her argument is she wants homeschool parents to devote time and effort to improving schools based on her standards. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t be happy with the program we’ve created for our daughter! We said “its not fair” and figured out another solution – public schools will never have the same level of education because they don’t have the freedom of choice.

My gut feeling on all of this is we need to go to smaller schools and systems, not larger. And definitely not government-run on a national level.

• Smaller schools systems — YES.
      Just look at the power and money amassed by the big ones like in NC. Char-meck, Wake — they should be divided up. Their school boards also hold too much power.
      We need more local decision making.

3. Alex says:

This so-called professor is an embarrassment to Meredith College. I’m sure some of their best students are home-schooled. I’m sure many of their alumnae home-school their children. It is really surprising that someone like this would be on the faculty of a Baptist, Christian college.

4. Unaffiliated Voter says:

Great article and dissection! I shall set about sending this one out to a few of my
    government screwl friends …rofl!

5. Yvonne says:

Just found this … schools won’t be given budgets based on estimated attendance next year! What a mess for some of the larger cities!

6. Steve Caronna says:

Angie, Your rebuttal was brilliant. THANK YOU for bringing some sanity and clarity to this issue.

7. Jayne says:

Irony … she spent 10 whole months at a community college and then transferred to Duke University and Meredith College (both private institutions).

• Michelle says:

So you’re saying that she wasn’t willing to sacrifice her paycheck for the common good, but parents are supposed to sacrifice their kids? Nice ….

8. Jessica says:

You’re right, that article wasn’t worth the space on the server, but then again, I have come to expect it of the liberal cesspool that is the Triangle.

I actually had someone at the gym site this very argument as to why my family’s choice to homeschool was “taking away from” the public school environment because it was “taking away the involved parents”. I didn’t realize it until this moment, but he was using the argument from this article, which he’d obviously read that same morning. Oh, how I laughed, though, at the insinuation from another adult that homeschooler parents, or any parent for that matter, ought to sacrifice their child’s learning experience for the presumed benefit of strangers. I actually thought he was kidding at first. Except that he obviously wasn’t, and then he had the special audacity to bring up the “socialization” argument. I always expect that argument, I have a standard reply for it by now, but Maxwell’s banter, this notion that my children’s best interest is subservient to the best interest of those children whose parents “must work long hours and can’t devote evenings to school projects and PTA meetings” (or, in my own opinion, those parents who by and large have decided that their commitment to career is more worthy than their commitment to their children’s educational environment). They are at work, what 10 hours a day, including commute time? You can’t go to a PTA meeting once a month? They can’t help their own child with his or her projects after work/in the evenings? What, does Maxwell expect “the involved parents” to go door to door saving these kids from their parents’ educational apathy? I can’t believe this woman put that garbage to text and expected that it would be well received.

Just once in my life– Just ONCE– I want a public school parent to thank the homeschool community for affording them free childcare 180 days a year. Just ONCE I want them to tell us that they are grateful that we elect to keep more than 1,000 students per NC county out of their children’s already bloated classrooms (and trailers functioning as “temporary” classrooms), and that they appreciate that because of our willingness to utilize our time and resources for our own children, their own children do not have to make do with even less at public school.

JUST ONCE.

9. Fourester says:

As she said, it is up to parents to choose what is best for their children and themselves. Some children excel in a public school environment and would languish if home schooled. Some parents, like me, would be horrible at homeschooling. We realized that the public school was not a good fit for our son’s learning style and emotional well being, so we moved him to a private school. He is much happier and better adjusted. He is being intellectually challenged every day.

10. LMT says:

Congratulations to Angie! I left my own brand of homeschool wisdom for the author. It was way below the belt. I firmly believe the reporters in Raleigh are so anxious to pick back up on the Common Core Standards trail, they are grasping at straws.

11. Dan Marlow says:

This basically epitomizes the democratic party Liberals want to shame anyone who thinks for themselves and anyone who tries to excel. They believe everyone should lower themselves to the least achieving so all will be equal. Home school children are far more advanced than public school children, so instead of raising public education standards, liberals wish to berate parents who dared give their children a better education.

Comments are closed.