Via the NC Board of Education website, the latest batch of contracts has one regarding ELA testing for ELLS. (ELLS means English Language Learners; i.e. children whose primary language is not English.)
Under purpose, here is the first item:
Develop an alignment study between North Carolina’s state academic standards and the World Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Consortium English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards
North Carolina has a commission still in progress who is reviewing the Common Core ELA standards currently in use.
Why would DPI be engaging in a contract such as this with Common Core still under review? Moving the goal posts at the end of the game?
This contract seems to point to evidence that perhaps Common Core has no capacity for addressing ELLS students? Also, why are they farming this out?
2. Contract with University of Wisconsin
Purpose: The professional services set forth below shall be performed: (i) using the requisite degree of skill, care and diligence; and (ii) in accordance with professional standards consistent with nationally recognized contractors performing similar professional services:
- Develop an alignment study between North Carolina’s state academic standards and the World Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Consortium English Language Proficiency (ELP) standards
- Administer and score ACCESS for English Language Learners (ELLs)® for the 2015-16 school year and future years covered under the memorandum of understanding (MOU). Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER), through its subcontractor MetriTech Inc., will provide printing, distributing, scoring and reporting (PDSR) of the ACCESS for ELLs®.
- Make the ACCESS for ELLs® screener test, W-APT™, available to NC Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) during the term of this MOU
- Provide technical assistance, professional development and English language learner curriculum resources to NC DPI
Provide the following assessments and support materials:
- ACCESS for ELLs English language proficiency test (“ACCESS for ELLs”);
- WIDA ACCESS Placement Test English language proficiency placement test (“WAPT”); WIDA English language proficiency standards and Resource Guide (“WIDA ELP Standards”), including future editions;
- ACCESS for ELLs Training Toolkit and administration manuals (“WIDA Training Toolkit”);
- WIDA Consortium professional development materials (“WIDA PD Materials”); and ACCESS for ELLs technical documents and research reports.
Primary Contact: William Barker
Amount: $7,916,052.50 Federal
Time Frame: 6/30/2015 to 6/30/2018
DPI Coordinator: Tammy Howard, Academic Services & Instructional Support
Contract No: 10226117 (Service)
Total Approved Contracts This Fiscal Year: 1
Total Cost: $7,916,052.50 Federal