Stein is the Blueprint NC candidate and has been a very vocal supporter of Blueprint NC attack tactics such as Moral Monday.
I am sure that his former NCGA colleague, Rick Glazier, will have his back now that Glazier is heading up Blueprint NC’s parent organization.
Blueprint NC Backstory
Who or What is Blueprint NC? Let’s step back to 2013, when an attack memo circulated by a non-profit called Blueprint NC was leaked to the press. View a copy of the actual memo.
This memo revealed a four pronged line of attack on focused on Republicans and in particular on Governor McCrory:
• “Crippl(e) their leaders (GovMcCrory, House Speaker Tillis, Senate leader Berger etc.)”
• “Eviscerate the leadership and weaken their ability to govern.”
• “Pressure McCrory at every public event.”
• “Slam him when he contradicts his promises.”
After the memo was leaked, the list of partners surfaced along with the large amounts of money being funneled into Blueprint NC by various non-profits. One such non-profit funding Blueprint NC is the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation.
The Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation was by far the largest donor to Blueprint NC both directly and indirectly through the NC Justice Center. The grand total through 2014 is $2,750,000. The break out is below.
Z. Smith Reynolds Funds given direct to Blueprint NC:
2010 – $850,000
2012 – $400,000
2013 – $400,000
Z. Smith Reynolds Funds given to NC Justice Center to support Blueprint NC:
2006 – $300,000
2007 – $375,000
2008 – $425,000
At the time the memo was leaked, the Charlotte Observer noted the following:
Blueprint, funded in part by the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. According to its web site, it is “strictly prohibited from participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office.”
“All Blueprint activities will be strictly non-partisan,” it says. “Blueprint activities will not be coordinated with any candidate, political party or other partisan entity.”
According to Secretary of State filings, Blueprint NC is the creation of the NC Justice Center. In their 2010 article of incorporation filing, the original board of directors for Blueprint NC listed the following individuals:
Gerda Stein is the sister of Senator Josh Stein.
Stein’s sister isn’t the only Blueprint NC contributor to his political campaigns. To name a few other donors to Stein from the Blueprint NC gang, according to the NC Board of Elections report search, both Mary Mountcastle and Jim Goodmon have been big donors to Senator Stein.
The campaign finance reports also revealed Senator Stein’s affinity for using Democratic campaign tools like NGP VAN which are tied to Obama’s election database machine, Catalist.
More to come. Stay tuned.
- Liberal NC Non-Profit Group’s Attack Memo Leaked
- @WRAL Silent On Internal Link To Blueprint NC’s Attack Memo
- NC GOP Call For Investigation of Blueprint NC Non-Profit Status
- Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation Donations to Blueprint NC Larger Than First Realized
- A Primer on the Left in NC
- Dark Money On The Left Targets North Carolina
- Running for Office or Running Away – #ncpol
- Rep. Glazier Resigns, Heads to #BlueprintNC’s Parent Organization – #NCGA