Part truthiness and part chuckle-worthy.
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) December 27, 2014
Line up for the final NC Spin of 2014 was:
- Brad Crone, Political Consultant
- Becki Gray, Columnist, Carolina Journal
- Chris Fitzsimon, NC Policy Watch
- John Hood, President of the John Locke Foundation
- Tom Campbell, Moderator
Full Video Link.
Highlights and take-aways:
- Beginning topic: Coal ash was a big deal. It’s bad. It’s a bill citizens will ultimately foot.
- According to Gray, we’re still a purple state despite holding Republican majorities all over the place.
- Medicaid is a big deal. It’s a fight about money.
- Unaffilitated, white voters killed Democrats in the election according to Crone. Especially the rural unaffiliated voters. Possible Subtexts: Racists white voters beat us. How do Democrats further capitalize on low info unaffiliated voters?
- Fitzsimon nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to salvage the Moral Monday voter suppression theme after John Hood savaged it with … facts.
- Crone laments that Democrats were ‘beat over the head with Obama‘ all over the state.
- John Hood tried to break down Common Core opposition. Hood also says the Dept. of Public Instruction is not trusted — also, the sky is blue. He then advocates for taking part of Common Core in the ongoing re-write. This is bad advice; it ignores the standards are copyrighted. After you listen to what he said, read this and realize his answer on NC SPIN is informed by being part of it.
- Wainstein report. Fitzsimon calls it a ‘serious black eye’ and that college sports are a ‘charade’.
- NC SPIN person of the year nominations:
Gray: Thom Tillis
Fitzsimon: Phil Berger
Hood: Dan Kane (N&O reporter who broke UNC scandal) and Mary Willingham (Source for UNC story)
Crone: Thom Tillis
Names from other panelists on past shows: