Last night, we learned about Progress NC possibly having significant issues with its tax exempt status and their donations and the call by NC Republican Chairman Claude Pope for NC Secretary of State Elaine Marshall to investigate. I mentioned some background about Progress NC being cozy with Blueprint NC, the outfit who circulated an attack memo calling for:
• “Crippl(e) their leaders (GovMcCrory, House Speaker Tillis, Senate leader Berger etc.)”
• “Eviscerate the leadership and weaken their ability to govern.”
• “Pressure McCrory at every public event.”
• “Slam him when he contradicts his promises.”
This is a little reminder of the links between these two organizations and that memo was originally given to Progress NC. Via PJ Tatler:
Mark Binker of WRAL.com, which covers the news in Raleigh, Durham, and Fayetteville, wrote yesterday that BluePrint NC drafted a memo, which aims to put “crippling” pressure on conservatives in the state.
According to documents included with the memo and interviews, the strategy outline was produced by Myers Research and Strategic Services for Project New America. It was originally provided to Progress North Carolina, a liberal nonprofit that has aggressively attacked McCrory during the 2012 campaign and his early term in office. Progress North Carolina shared the memo with Blueprint NC, a nonprofit that coordinates the activities of liberal-leaning nonprofits. In turn, Blueprint NC distributed it to its member organizations.
You can read WRAL’s profile of Progress NC here.
Progress NC and Blueprint NC are neighbors. According to their filings that NC Secretary of State, they both reside at 2912 Highwoods Blvd in Raleigh.
You’ll also note from the 2011 990 filing, provided by WRAL, that Stephanie Bass is listed as chairperson of the board. Stephanie Bass is who the leaked memo came from at Blueprint NC. Ms. Bass also worked for NC Justice Center.
Also listed on that 990 is Chris Kromm, Moral Monday arrestee on 6/3/13( Photo) and Institute for Southern Studies employee. Kromm was also accused of plagiarism. Please note that Mr. Kromm is involved in the social justice group pushing for raising the minimum wage that was initiated by unions called Triangle Jobs with Justice:
– Campaign Working Group: Coordinate between Triangle JwJ’s member organizations and work to schedule actions to maximize turnout. Members: Rohima Miah, Betsy Crites, Marge Clemons, Linda Suggs, Miriam Thompson, Melinda Lawrence, Adam Sotak, Jade Brooks, Chris Kromm
Mr. Kromm is truly a busy guy.
Also on the list is Adam Stein and the guy behind the curtain, Gerrick Brenner, who was instrumental in smearing Wake County School board candidate Heather Losurdo. These days Brenner is drawing huge crowds to hear him rail against McCrory.
Footnote: From what was available online, it looks like NC Justice Center began funneling money to Blueprint NC in 2007. The address on the bottom of the NC Justice Center website is 224 S Dawson St, Raleigh, NC 27601. That’s the same address as the Blueprint NC original filing address.
- Missing Connection: WRAL and Blueprint NC, $1.7 million in support
- Video Of That ‘Non-Partisan Advocate For Clean Elections’
- Guiding the NC Elections Board – to the Left