On the second day of the monthly meeting of the North Carolina State Board of Education this past week, eight new charter schools were given approval to move forward.
- Discovery Charter School (Durham County)
- Emereau (Bladen County)
- Johnston Charter Academy (Johnston County)
- Montcross Charter Academy (Gaston County)
- Movement School (Mecklenburg County)
- Rolesville Charter Academy (Wake County)
- Twin City High School (Forsyth County)
- UpROAR Leadership Academy (Mecklenburg County)
There are currently 160 charter schools open in North Carolina with sixteen more expecting to open this August for the 2016-17 school year.
In 2014, there were 40 applications received. In 2015, twenty-eight schools submitted applications to the Charter Schools Advisory Board (CSAB) to open charter schools for starting in August 2017.
Of those twenty-eight charter applications, the CSAB only recommended approving twelve of the schools. Seven of the eight charters approved at the State Board of Education meeting were recommended unanimously for approval by CSAB.