Did any Apex parents hear about this incident last year? I’m thinking no, since I can’t find coverage of the original incident anywhere in our local media.
In Oct. 2014, a boy brought a firearm to Apex Middle School and allegedly threatened students. One year later, he is enrolled at a local high school with the victims.
Michelle Hale said the boy pointed an unloaded gun at her then-12-year-old son.
“He pointed the gun at my son’s stomach and pulled the trigger,” she said. “He said to everybody, ‘Don’t tell. If you do, I have the bullets in my backpack and you’ll be next.'”
Hale said the boy stuck the gun in the back of a student taking a test and threatened to shoot. – WRAL 11/5/15
Did any Apex parents hear about the kid returning to school this year, much less to the same school?
WCPSS policy says that this type of act gets a 365 day suspension, which apparently is now up. Zero Tolerance. Good times.
Parent and blogger, Allison Backhouse showed me this story this morning. Backhouse has taken to her own blog to express her outrage. I suggest reading it. Her post includes a letter to the Wake County School Board:
Mrs. Evans, Mrs. Kushner & Supt. Merrill,
It is absolutely reprehensible to read about this situation that occurred in my community – and my schools – from WRAL.
Considering the climate we live in today and the incidents that have occurred in schools across the country, it is completely unacceptable for this information to be withheld from parents. To add insult to injury, your so-called policies have allowed this student back into the public school system to attend the very same school as those he threatened. There is no indication that any other actions by the Board or the superintendent have or will be taken regarding the safety and protection of our children from this student. For God’s sake, he brought a gun, PULLED THE TRIGGER, and then threatened to bring bullets the next time. When is the next time? Are you waiting to react after the fact?
I demand answers as to why we, as parents and as members of the Apex community, were not notified of this when it occurred last year. I demand to know why this dangerous student is allowed back into our schools after, as School Board member Keith Sutton says, “they have served their time” with a one year suspension. I truly empathize for the parents of these victims who have been ignored and lied to by this School Board. I am outraged and ashamed at each and every one of you.
Here’s the link to the WCPSS Board’s emails, fire away parents.
Related Reading: Knightdale High student credited with preventing campus attack
The Wake County Public School System’s student conduce policy indicates that a student caught with a firearm on campus will be suspended for 365 days. Depending on the seriousness of the infraction, the student can be expelled.
Court documents show that Fisher has been banned from the Knightdale High School campus. It was unknown if he would be allowed to return to school after 365 days.
Also, a pack of girls caught on video fighting on a Charlotte-Mecklenburg school district bus will have nothing happen to them:
“NBC Charlotte asked CMS if the students involved had been punished and if an incident report had been filed from Friday’s fight. There is no incident report of the fight, as if it never happened. A source said the driver resolved the issue by speaking to the two girls who went a few rounds, then finished the rest of the route.”
Pingback: What They’re Saying In NC Education – WE 11/6/15 #NCed | Lady Liberty 1885