These are the Common Core Weekend Reads for Mother’s Day, 2015.
This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
Prior Edition of Weekend Reads: 4-25-15
Please note: Compiling and producing the CC Weekend Reads over the last year has been a useful tool for many including myself. However, due to time constraints, family obligations and other projects I cannot continue to keep these posts up.
This edition will be the last installment of the Common Core Weekend Reads.
I will be continuing to cover the NC Academic Standards Review Commission and Common Core topics in North Carolina.
NC Academic Standards Review Commission (ASRC) Updates:
NC ASRC Site
Next ASRC meeting: May 18th. Details here.
NC UPDATES: Event Alerts below!
- CCSS, Come to Raleigh and Meet Your Match!
- Wake Cty Parents Worried About Common Core? Get Involved.
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
ARNE DUNCAN: So to be clear, states are supposed to work with districts on that, and we’ll look at the numbers and whatever, and we think that most states will do that. But if states don’t do whatever, then we have an obligation to, uh, to step in.
– NewsBusters, Not News: Obama Education Secretary Threatens to ‘Step In,’ Plays Race Card Over Common Core Testing Opt-Outs
- My Position on the Senate ESEA Reauthorization Draft
- Florida School District Pushes Back on EOC Exam’s 30% of Grade Requirement
- New Hampshire Governor Vetos Anti-Common Core Bill
- Mississippi To Mimic NC DPI’s Common Core Review
- Mike Huckabee Pressed on His Common Core History
- Jeb Bush’s #1 Problem
- Opting Out Interfering with the “Civil Right” of Testing?
- 12 Civil Rights Groups Oppose Opting Out. It Could Have Been 28.
- United Opt Out Issues Statement To Civil Rights Groups Who Oppose #OptOut
- The Soccer Mom Revolt Against Common Core
- Parents Demand NY Attorney General Investigate Common Core Tests
- State-Led Myth Nuked By Duncan Himself: Opt Out and Fed Will Have To ‘Step In’.
- #KingDuncan Has Spoken! Threatens Peasants That The Government Will ‘Step In’
THE WEEKEND READS:
- Common Core-Related Worksheet Teaches That Only White Schools Get New Textbooks
- Upskilling America, Part 1
- Upskilling America: Part 2
- 5 questions on digital learning
- Educational Equity: Does it Lower Abilities & Standards in Order to Level Playing Field?
- Has Our Education System Become The Post Office?
- College Board marches on
- Why Movement To Out Out Of Common Core Tests Is A Big Deal
- Why the Opt Out movement is terrifying our leaders
- Pearson responds to criticism about its standardized tests
- Who’s grading your child’s Common Core tests? Teachers, subs and some Craigslist recruits
- Rival Testing Vendors Could Lead to Smarter Balanced Meltdown
VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
Just a friendly reminder that Huckabee is a lying crapweasel on Common Core. Flashback: http://t.co/J2tBf0FRmO
— Michelle Malkin (@michellemalkin) May 6, 2015
Questions raised? It was an history lesson and take-down on Common Core, High stakes testing and YOU, #Pearson. https://t.co/4n8CeFdhBK
— A.P. Dillon – LL1885 (@LadyLiberty1885) May 5, 2015
Minneapolis: Scores Plunge Because of Opt Outs http://t.co/McGd3WL69E
— Diane Ravitch (@DianeRavitch) May 4, 2015
Cyber attack shuts down Common Core test in CA, officials deny deliberate tampering http://t.co/pOEAY36aw5 #stopcommoncore @michellemalkin
— A.P. Dillon – LL1885 (@LadyLiberty1885) May 2, 2015
You must be logged in to post a comment.