This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
Prior Edition of Weekend Reads: 3-29-15
NC Academic Standards Review Commission (ASRC) Updates:
- Parents Should Get To Know The NC Academic Freedom Alliance
- Meet the NC Academic CCSS Alternative
- #NC Parents, Have You Given Your Common Core Feedback?
- How Does Rep. Craig Horn Define Proficiency and Rigor?
- Alert: State Happenings – Updated
- Bill To Fund NC Common Core Commission Sitting On Governor McCrory’s Desk
- NC Teacher Quits Mid-Year. Read Her Reasons.
- How’s That Common Core Math Working Out For NC?
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
“I’m opposed to a widespread opt-out without real dialogue . . . If you lose federal funding, what happens to those kids?” Sharpton told The Post at the National Action Network convention in Midtown.
But Sharpton said a boycott could hurt urban kids and pointed out that neither he nor NAN chapter leaders in upstate cities such as Buffalo and Syracuse were consulted about the opt-out campaign.
- Bill To Eliminate Common Core in Montana Is Tabled
- Testing opt-out bill passes first Colorado floor test
- Student Success Not Telling the Whole Truth. Let’s Revisit Our Post From Earlier This Year. TWEET #StudentSuccess: #StoptheSpin #TelltheTruth
- The Idea that standardized tests for school kids are a “Civil Right”
- Civil Rights Group Support for HR5 Necessitates Twitter Rally
- Al ‘Resist We Much’ Sharpton Lends Us His Extensive Academic Experience On Common Core Tests
- Shocker: Two Pro-Core Groups Now Pushing AGAINST Rewrite Of NCLB
- How the Obamas opted their children out of high-stakes standardized tests
THE WEEKEND READS:
- Common Core education: the insane bottom line
- Ravitch: “By the time you finish the article, you realize that there is no science behind the Common Core.”
- Forbes: Is Common Core Developmentally Appropriate?
- From the mouths of our children to Ed Reformers ears
- Compare and Contrast The Easter Message vs The Education Reform Message
- Hey Parents, You Need To Be “Retrained”.
- Breaking News Update (ESEA)
- Duncan Extols Upcoming ESEA Renewal
- Fed Ed extends ESEA Waiver for NC and others
- Some Details on the Senate-proposed ESEA Reauthorization
- My Observations on the Alexander-Murray ESEA Reauthorization Draft, Part II
- Examining That Senate ESEA Reauthorization, Part III
- To Fix ESEA, We Need A Reaffirmation Of The Original Intent
- The Alexander-Murray, Proposed Senate ESEA Reauthorization, Part IV
- CCSS and NGSS, Where Dumb Meets Dumber!
- ‘Opting Haven out of the state-mandated tests is our family’s act of civil disobedience’
- Pearson owns the tests and leaves schools with only one choice… Pearson
- From United Opt-Out: Sikeston, MO Curriculum Admin. on Sit & Stare: “I don’t feel it’s that big of a deal.”
- More Seattle students opt out of new Common Core tests
- 5 Percent Of Oregon Students Opted Out of Common Core Tests
- Americans Opting Out of Tests In Droves
VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
- VIDEO: Alyson Williams shares why it is urgent parents join the fight against Common Core.
- VIDEO: Hard work is key to success in school
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
— Logue (@manateespirit) April 11, 2015
— Neal McCluskey (@NealMcCluskey) April 8, 2015
— DernDawn (@noprezzie2012) April 10, 2015
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) April 10, 2015
It’s like ‘baking’? Vox explains the mysteries of Common Core math ‘in 3 minutes’ http://t.co/TrDRNiPfzr
— TwitchyTeam (@TwitchyTeam) April 10, 2015
— lauraw69 (@laurawyckoff) April 12, 2015
— Dwayne R. Saunders (@DwayneRSaunders) April 12, 2015
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) April 9, 2015