“Editor’s Note: BEST NC is a supporter of EdNC.”
“The bill is titled, “Great Leaders for Great Schools/Study,” and the primary sponsors are Democrats Rep. Tricia Ann Cotham and Rep. Cecil Brockman, and Republican Rep. Craig Horn.
Cotham said she came to the General Assembly as one of its only licensed principals, and she says North Carolina faces a crisis.”
Note the use of the the term ‘crisis‘.
Cotham and Horn were both involved in the BEST NC secret meetings held at SAS last year. Cotham was on the K-12 Recruiting and Training workgroup. Coincidence? Not likely.
The article lays out these key points of the bill:
- Recruiting the best performing leaders for administrative roles
- More flexibility and autonomy for principals over school decisions
- Compensation that will draw and keep principals and assistant principals at schools with the lowest achievement
- And professional development to help them turn around low achieving schools
HB 216‘s title reads:
AN ACT DIRECTING THE JOINT LEGISLATIVE EDUCATION OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE TO STUDY STRATEGIES FOR PROVIDING NORTH CAROLINA WITH GREAT LEADERS FOR GREAT SCHOOLS.
Who will be supplying the ‘strategies’?
What will this ‘study’ end up costing taxpayers?
Isn’t this the job of the Dept. of Public Instruction? What exactly does DPI do these days with their ginormous staff and budget?
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) March 25, 2015
- News and Observer Shills For BEST NC
- BEST NC Releases Their “2020 Vision” For NC Education
- BEST NC’s 2020 Vision Initiative