This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
Prior Edition of Weekend Reads: 11-23-14
RECENT NC UPDATES:
- NC Senate Bill 880 And The NC Superintendent Position
- NCDPI Making Changes To Common Core Documents
- Cheap Advice On NC Educational Standards
ICYMI FROM THE StopCommonCoreNC BLOG:
- Beck’s chilling interview with Texas Mom
- MO Judge Grants Restraining Order Over SBAC Participation
- Another teacher speaks out against Common Core
- Pearson Is Everywhere: Foundation Closes After Being Fined
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
“Brat says, Common Core “violates the teacher-pupil relationship, just as Obamacare violated the doctor-patient relationship.”
– Daily Caller, Meet the Freshman who Defeated Eric Cantor
“The PARCC test is neither valid nor reliable as a measure. And the reason for that is that it has never been given to a large population. So we’re paying to have a private testing company norm their instrument on the backs of Illinois students. That’s a big problem.”
– Washington Post, A damning account of one state’s Common Core testing initiative
“The uptick in homeschooling has become a trend across the nation over the past couple of years, even in states like New York and California,” Wright said. “Americans have rejected the Common Core initiative because they are tired of unaccountable federal bureaucracy, especially when it comes to their child’s education, and because they are seeing first-hand the poor quality and content of the Standards that are meant to prepare children for the workforce instead of giving them a well-rounded, superior education.”
-Fox News, Opposition to Common Core spurs jump in homeschooling
- Federal Secretary of Education: “To Phase Out the Authority of States”
- Arne Duncan Stays Out of CPS-Illinois Fight Over PARCC
- U.S. DOE Gives Oklahoma Its NCLB Waiver Back
- Oklahoma fights back after feds pull education funding over Common Core
- Missouri Taxpayers Sue Governor Jay Nixon Over Common Core Tests
- Give Diane Douglas a chance, people
- US Secretary of Education Ignores Thousands Gathered to Oppose Common Core
- Jeb Bush Wants Opposition to Can It, Be More Like China.
- Gates and Pearson Partner to Reap Tens of Millions from Common Core
- Making Math Education Even Worse
- Here Comes The Common Core Curriculum
- Common Core Goal: Equity or Academic Excellence?
- Common Core can narrow achievement gap for women
- Compare and Contrast these Common Core Editorials
- Schools Serve Up A Common Core Thanksgiving
- Obama’s USDOE: Appointed to Privatize. Period.
- A dozen questions for school reformers who say one thing and do another
- Why Would Catholic Educators Listen to Chester Finn?
- Cup of Coffee Can Now Data Mine!
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
— tom hinson (@tomhinson) November 26, 2014
— proteinwisdom (@proteinwisdom) November 26, 2014
— Teri Sasseville (@TeriGRight) November 26, 2014
— cheri kiesecker (@cherkies) November 23, 2014
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) November 25, 2014