Woke up this morning to the news that overnight a manhunt for Suspect #1 and #2 sought in the Boston marathon bombing was underway.
We’ve seen how unreliable and inaccurate the media can be with breaking news lately, so none of what I post here is to be taken as Gospel. Also, the Police have allegedly been getting it quite wrong as well. Got that?
This will be a rolling thread with updates added as information is reported. Here are the basics as reported at this time (10:07 am EST):
- Suspect #1, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, is dead
- Suspect # 2, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, is at large
- They are reported to be brothers, from the Russian region of Chechnya. (Twitchy)
- Boston Marathon Bombing suspects were engaged by authorities last night around 10:07 om EST.
- One suspect is dead and another on the run. (CBS Boston)
- Boston is locked down. Mass transit and Logan airport are also shut down. A massive manhunt is underway. (CBS Boston)
- Report of a possible 3rd suspect.
- Boston – Watertown region and surrounding areas.
Timeline via CBS BOSTON with some additional links added:
- Thursday, before 10:20 p.m. -A 7-11 in Cambridge is robbed by the men believed to be the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.
- 10:20 p.m. – An MIT police officer was shot and killed responding to a report of disturbance in the area of Vassar and Main streets in Cambridge.
- Approximately 11:30 p.m. – An armed carjacking by two men took place in the area of Third Street in Cambridge. The victim was held in the car for approximately a half hour.
- Friday, approximately 12 a.m. – The carjacking victim was released at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. He was not injured. Police immediately began searching for the vehicle involved.
- 1 a.m. – Officers from several agencies were involved in a pursuit into Watertown. Gunshots and explosions were heard in the area of Dexter and Laurel streets in Watertown. Explosive devices were reportedly thrown from car by the suspects. The suspects and police also exchanged gunfire in the area of Dexter and Laurel streets. An MBTA police officer was shot and seriously injured during the pursuit. One of two Boston Marathon bombing suspects was injured and captured. (LL1885 Note: Video of the shoot out taken by a witness is found here. There is more information about the video and the suspects at Yid with a Lid.)
- 1 a.m. – Police agencies descended on Watertown. A manhunt was underway for the second suspect, who managed to escape on foot. A 20-block area was surrounded by police.
- 1:35 a.m. – The injured Boston Marathon Bombing suspect died at the hospital.
- 2 a.m. – The FBI released new photos of the suspect who remained on the run.
- 4:20 a.m. – Boston police sent out a surveillance photo of the suspect who was on the run that was taken earlier in the night.
- 5:45 a.m. All MBTA service was suspended indefinitely. Massachusetts State Police told residents in Watertown, Newton, Allston/Brighton, Waltham, Cambridge, and Belmont to stay home until further notice. No traffic was being allowed to leave Watertown.
- 6:38 a.m. – The Associated Press reported that AP the Boston Marathon bombings suspects are from a region in Russia near Chechnya, and have lived in the US at least one year.
- 6:45 a.m. – The Associated Press identified the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass.
- 6:55 a.m. – CBS reports that the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects were brothers.
- 12:36 p.m. -via Fox News-State Police announces there will be a controlled explosion in Norfolk during afternoon hours. Tells community again to “stay in doors“
This is all that was posted by CBS Boston when I wrote it up at 10:03 AM. Timeline continues below.
- 7:15 pm EST UPDATE – Suspect Cornered –
— Charles Bender(@chiefragingbull) April 19, 2013
PHOTO: WCVB is reporting that this is the boat where the suspect was hiding behind this Watertown, MA, home twitter.com/NewsBreaker/st…
— NewsBreaker(@NewsBreaker) April 19, 2013
New Bedford Police: 3 individuals were taken in for questioning by FBI late this afternoon, in connection with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev #manhunt
— ABC News (@ABC) April 19, 2013
- 7:53 p.m. ET: Three college aged individuals were taken into custody by the FBI late this afternoon in connection with the manhunt for bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Lt. Robert Richard told ABC News.
- 8:03 p.m. ET: A Watertown, Mass., homeowner spotted blood and body in a covered boat kept in his yard, neighbor and eyewitness George Pizzuto tells ABC News. The homeowner discovered the person, after removing the boat’s cover. He then called police. (ABC)
- 8:41 p.m. ET: SUSPECT IN CUSTODY. Calls for Medic over Police Scanner.
Nuts & Bolts
- They’re terrorists. This is what they do.
LIVE UPDATE LINKS:
- Instapundit: NOT TEA PARTIERS. AGAIN. (Mult. Links)
- Yid With a Lid: Boston Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s You Tube Page VIDEO- The Army of Islam From Khorasan (Updates at Bottom)
- Lucianne: Boston Bombing Suspect Posted Video on Al Qaeda Prophecy on YouTube Also: The stories of 2 brothers suspected in bombing
- Twitchy: PRI’s Robin Young knows bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
- The Blaze: Do These Social Media Profiles, YouTube Videos Belong to the Boston Bombers? Also: Fox’s Bill Hemmer Goes Off on Law Enforcement Officials Who Leaked Wrong Suspect Photos to Press, Including Him: ‘My Jaw Dropped’
- Nice Deb: Report: Saudi National DHS File Says Individual is “Linked to the Boston Bombing”
- Maggie’s Notebook: Father of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: My Son is a True Angel
- Powerline: The terrorists appear to be Islamic extremists
- Doug Ross: Larwyn’s Linx: Terror suspects have international ties, have been in the U.S. for a year
- PJ Tatler: Dead Bombing Suspect: ‘I’m Very Religious… There Are No Values Anymore’
- Washington Free Beacon: Manhunt Also: Suspect #1 Dead, Suspect #2 Subject of Massive Manhunt in Watertown, Mass.
- Daily Caller: Dead Boston bombing suspect was a ‘very religious’ Muslim boxer Also: Suspected Boston bomber posted al-Qaida ‘prophecy’ [VIDEO]
- Treacher: Not All Muslims bomb Boston Marathon and shoot up Watertown, MA
- Zero Hedge: Killed Chechen Bomber Brother: “I Don’t Have A Single American Friend, I Don’t Understand Them.” ALSO: NYPD Warns Of White Male Headed To Manhattan Who May Be Wearing Suicide Vest – Update: Honda Found
- Breitbart: Boston Police Presser: One Suspect Shot, Other At Large Also: Hospital: ‘Patient’ Died From Gunshot Wounds, Explosion Damage
- Weekly Standard: Boston Bomber Posted Video on ‘The Black Flags From Khorasan’
- CNS: 1 of 2 Mass. bomb suspects dead; suburbs shut down
- Politico: Reports: Boston bombing suspects came from abroad
- The Atlantic: This Is What It Looks Like When the Police Shut Down a City
- Hot Air: Video: Bombers’ father tells son to surrender, threatens US
- NY Post: Fugitive Boston Marathon ‘bomber’ showed interest in Islam
- Weasel Zippers: NBC Reports Links To Islamic Jihad Union Terror Group…
- Buzzfeed: These are NOT the Twitter accounts of the bombers
- NRO: Tamburlaine the Great
- Dan Riehl: CBS: FBI Interviewed Bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev 2 years ago over extremist ties
- Newsbusters: Will Media Report: Suspected Boston Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Appears to Be Obama Fan
- Breitbart: Military Grade Explosives Litter Streets of Boston Suburb
- Daily Caller: City of Boston gave ‘subsidy’ to bombing suspects’ radical mosque
- Daily Caller: One bombing suspect loved pot and Obama, the other was married
- Twitchy: ‘Suspect down’: Shots fired, bombing suspect reportedly pinned down in Watertown, Mass.; ‘Alive, surrounded and moving’
- Twitchy: Full archive: View and search every tweet attributed to Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
- Twitchy: Backpedal-palooza: Left no longer wants to speculate about bombers’ motives
- Breitbart: Bombing Suspects Lauded Jihad
- Daily Mail: FBI interviewed Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, for possible extremist ties two years ago but found no incriminating information
- The Blaze: Confirmed: Foreign Gov’t Asked FBI to Look at Boston Terror Suspect for ‘Extremist Ties’ in 2011 — They Determined He Was No Threat
- Hot Air: Video: Older Tsarnaev went to Russia for six months; Update: CBS: FBI interviewed Tsarnaev in 2011; Update: Into “religious politics” for 5 years, says mother
- Hot Air: Video: Tsarnaev aunt, father say brothers framed, Tamerlan recently became devout Muslim
- The Blaze: Three People Reportedly Taken Into Custody in New Bedford, Mass. as Part of Boston Bombing Investigation
- Gateway Pundit: WITNESS VIDEO – Boston Suspect #2 Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Shot in Boat in Watertown Backyard (Video)
- Gateway Pundit: Photo of Dead Boston Bomber Published – WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE
- Gateway Pundit: Nice… Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Drove Over Injured Brother to Escape Police (Video)
- Weasel Zippers: New York Times Shows Sympathy For Boston Terrorists…
- Nice Deb: Suspect #2 Down – But Still Alive – Surrounded – UPDATE: Suspect in Custody
JACKWAGONS ON PARADE:
— DanRiehl (@DanRiehl) April 19, 2013
@ctuckerprof You’re supposed to be a professor? Of what Moron 101?
— LL1885 (@LadyLiberty1885) April 19, 2013
@ctuckerprof They’re Sunni Muslims, you brainless ideological windbag.
— Bob Owens (@bob_owens) April 19, 2013
Because it’s all about HIM, right? Just like he got Bin Laden. MY GOD SHUT UP.. Obama has NOTHING to do with this. N O T H I N G.
Sec Kerry: “[Obama] has said we’re going to find those responsible…We’re part of the way there, & the president intends to finish the job”
— Mike O’Brien (@mpoindc) April 19, 2013
More from Twitter:
If these guys had been Tea Partiers, would you listen to a Tea Party spokesman saying we have to understand why they’re victims? I wouldn’t.
— Jim Treacher (@jtLOL) April 19, 2013
5 min after bombing, MSM suggests right-wing Americans did it. Now that it’s Muslims from Chechnya: “We can’t speculate on motives.”
— Bill Hobbs (@billhobbs) April 19, 2013
This miserable coward planted a bomb right next to a little kid. Dying in a boat in somebody’s backyard is too good for him. #Watertown
— Jim Treacher (@jtLOL) April 19, 2013
— David Burge (@iowahawkblog) April 19, 2013
— Mayor Tom Menino (@mayortommenino) April 20, 2013
Any further information or updates on the Boston Bombings and manhunt will be posted in a new thread.