This is a review of the past week of news on Common Core nationwide and in North Carolina.
Articles are organized by category.
The next meeting of the ASRC is January 19, 2015, 1:00-5:00 PM
Let’s hope the live stream/video is present at this one as it was absent at the December one. This is important to transparency and also for those with kids who cannot attend since there is no school on the 19th.
QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
“If you connected all of the practice tests I’ve taken over the past three years,” he told me with a bitter laugh, “they would wrap all the way around the world.”
-NY Times, Inside a Chinese Test Prep Factory
Related: Jeb Bush Wants Opposition to Can It, Be More Like China.
- The plot to overhaul No Child Left Behind
- Common Core’s ‘Level Playing Field’ tilted by Coffers
- Common Core: Cuomo vetoes his own teacher evaluation bill
- Judge Rules Against NH School Board Who Had Parent Arrested
- Why U.S. Education Needs The U.S. Constitution Now
- Jeb Bush ‘Owns’ Common Core
- Jeb’s Entry and the Problem with Common Core
- Jeb Bush’s Hurdles
- Jeb Bush resigns from all boards, including his own education foundation
- Seven Slick Things Politicians Say To Make You Think They Oppose Common Core
- State Elected Officials Should Ignore The Latest Common Core Scare Tactics
- Jason Zimba: The Other Guy
- Note To Common Core Architects: Cry Me A River
- The 2016 PR Campaigns To Rehab Common Core Begin
THE WEEKEND READS:
- Arne Duncan asks ‘what if?’ Here’s the response.
- These will be the Top 5 Education issues in 2015
- Pearson Overtakes Saudi Arabian Education System
- A DC Response on My Pearson-Saudi Arabia Post
- Common Core Is A Cash Cow For Chromebooks
- Are Common Core and Title IX linked?
- USED calls parents and teachers dopes, again
- The Common Core Ladies Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks
- Chemistry Teacher on W. VA’s Adoption of Next Gen Science Standards
- Pearson’s Renaissance (1): History and Revolution
- 6 Lessons from Pearson’s Assessment Renaissance
- Virginia Math standards align to Common Core by 95%
- 2014: The greatest year of revolt against high-stakes testing in the U.S.
- Inside a Chinese Test Prep Factory
- Common Core Questions pass with few exceptions
- Testing Under Fire
- NY Times Article Misses Mark On Common Core, Testing
VIDEO OF THE WEEK:
David Coleman speech to SDP Education Data Meeting (edited for Gwinnet County School Board meeting) Full video of SDP Speech.
* Related article and text at Truth in American Education
TWEETS OF THE WEEK:
— cheri kiesecker (@cherkies) January 1, 2015
— Cato Institute (@CatoInstitute) December 26, 2014
— Truth in American Ed (@TruthinAmEd) December 30, 2014
— Liberty Belle (@LibertyBelle11) December 30, 2014
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) December 26, 2014
— LL1885 – A.P. Dillon (@LadyLiberty1885) December 27, 2014