This is a rundown of links, video and a little of the Lady’s Take of the GOP debate held on November 12, 2011.
Full Video is here.
The Lady’s Take:
Preface: I watched about the first 30 minutes of it, therefore a lot of what I post here will be mainly links and analysis of other bloggers who covered the whole thing. CBS’s attempt to break it up to one hour on TV and the rest streaming live on the internet was something I said would fail — and it did.
My Impressions: Gingrich owned this debate. His knowledge base is unmatched here. Perry made up some ground and his idea to start all countries at zero for foreign aid from the US resonated. Most of the field agreed on just about most of the questions, making this a rather boring debate.
The Highlights: Gingrich smacked down Pelley on more than one occasion, but this answer in particular was nice. It also backs my prior post ripping Ron Paul for the Al-Awlaki op-ed. Ron Paul complained he only got 90 seconds or so of talking time in the first half of the debate. While I acknowledge that was pretty unfair, frankly I was relieved. My blood pressure didn’t need the spike. Bachmann was very vanilla in her answers. I didn’t see enough of Santorum to make an impression. Cain has a serious weak spot on Foreign policy and it showed last night. Romney was pretty clear-cut in his answers.
Clear winner of this debate was Newt Gingrich. The rest fall in behind him for me in this order: R0mney, Perry, Cain, Bachmann, Santorum, Paul, Huntsman.
The Useful Links:
- CBS DEBATE Foreign Policy » South Carolina Republican Debate – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
- CBS DEBATE Foreign Policy » Debate Tweets and Video of the Night – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
- Live Blogging CBS/National Journal GOP Debate in South Carolina | Maggie’s Notebook
- Barone: Thoughts on first foreign policy debate | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner
- CBS DEBATE Foreign Policy >> Perry, Gingrich stand out in GOP debate | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner
- Rick Perry: Foreign aid will start at zero dollars for every country | The Right Scoop
- Were Rick Perry‘s Remarks on China Changing ’Their Virtues‘ Really ’Rambling?’ | Video | TheBlaze.com
- Ron Paul | CBS Republican Debate | Jesse Benton | The Daily Caller
I apologize for the brevity of this section, not a lot of great short clips out there.