A.P Dillon on Social Media
Got PayPal? Donate Today!
Donate Other Ways
Got News? Get the Newsletter.
LATEST LL1885 POSTS
- Wake School Board debates version of College Board ‘Diversity Score’ to reassign kids
- WS/Forsyth County high school Teacher charged with sex crimes involving student
- #NCED Updates – Equity, Unions, Ed Bills and that K-3 Assessment drama
- Former School Administrator arrested on sex charges involving student
- WCPSS Equity Affairs: We will “Leverage student voices” to advance “Equity Framework”
ARCHIVES BY CATEGORY
Tag Archives: Durham Schools
Here is an interesting tidbit. Durham schools has dropped their contract with Teach for America (TFA), citing the district no longer needs the group and that their turnover rate isn’t in line with the district’s retention goals.
The district has worked with TFA for the past decade and currently has 12 teachers from the program in local schools: Six at Southern School of Energy and Sustainability, four at Neal Magnet Middle School and two at Eastway Elementary School.
The Board of Education last month decided not to renew TFA’s contract, saying the district no longer needs the group’s help and that local schools need teachers willing to commit more than the two years TFA requires.
“We want to build a strong teacher workforce that’s made up of career educators,” school board Chairwoman Heidi Carter said Friday. “Our job is to look long term and make decisions that will benefit the most students over time.”
Carter said the inconsistency and turnover after TFA teachers leave can create problems, especially in high-risk schools where many of the teachers are placed.
“No organization in the business world builds its workforce from temp employees, and basically, that’s what this would be doing.” she said. – WRAL
This criticism about turnover is not new. Flashback to 2011 when Diane Ravitch spoke at Duke:
READ MORE – SEE THE DETAILS ON MONETARY JUGGERNAUT TFA Continue reading