A.P Dillon on Social Media
Got PayPal? Donate Today!
Donate Other Ways
Got News? Get the Newsletter.
LATEST LL1885 POSTS
- WCPSS incapable of complying with State Board’s guidance for grading
- NC DPI and UNC-TV to deliver programming for K-12 students
- Where was the emergency plan for school continuity?
- It’s Time We Stand Together
- Links to help parents during NC school closures
- Additional counts including statutory rape added to Winston-Salem teacher charges
- Substitute at Albemarle Middle School arrested for mass threat of violence
ARCHIVES BY CATEGORY
Category Archives: Foreign Affairs
As I stated last week via the NY Times article, it looked to me like these folks were being paid off by being put on administrative leave. Emphasis added:
Oh hey, look…Some resignations! With the Accountability report also came four resignations. Four is a nice round number to take the blame for what was ultimately the role, responsibility and fault of the President and Hillary Clinton. Perhaps the number if more symbolic – four resignations for four murdered Americans. NY Times:
Eric J. Boswell, the assistant secretary of state for diplomatic security, resigned. Charlene R. Lamb, the deputy assistant secretary responsible for embassy security, and another official in the diplomatic security office whom officials would not identify were relieved of their duties. So was Raymond Maxwell, a deputy assistant secretary who had responsibility for North Africa. The four officials, a State Department spokeswoman said, “have been placed on administrative leave pending further action.”
I want to know who the other official they would not name is. The article says they resigned or were relieved of duty, yet they are placed on administrative leave as well? Does that mean they’re being paid for their trouble of playing the part of scapegoats?
The NY Post confirms my suspicion:
The four officials supposedly out of jobs because of their blunders in the run-up to the deadly Benghazi terror attack remain on the State Department payroll — and will all be back to work soon, The Post has learned.
The highest-ranking official caught up in the scandal, Assistant Secretary of State Eric Boswell, has not “resigned” from government service, as officials said last week. He is just switching desks. And the other three are simply on administrative leave and are expected back.
The four were made out to be sacrificial lambs in the wake of a scathing report issued last week that found that the US compound in Benghazi, Libya, was left vulnerable to attack because of “grossly inadequate” security.
Someone in the three-ring circus of Congressional Committees better fire up the Subpoena machine and get Hillary before she can plead the 5th. By the way, where are all the survivors of Benghazi? Continue reading
And the bullshit train chugs on along around camp stonewall.
Hillary took a spill and bumped her head. Not hard enough to go to the hospital, but they know it’s a concussion and she can’t testify now. Instead, they’re sending in the B-team of Burns and Nides, who will of course claim they know nothing. This announcement comes from John Kerry, who is poised to take Clinton’s job as Secretary of State. Easy there John, you don’t have the job yet. Kerry is now the administration’s top pick after Susan Rice bowed out ungracefully last week, crying to Obama in a letter how the meanie pants GOP were all sexist, racist pigs who dared question her judgement and abilities.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton won’t testify to Congress next week on Benghazi, after fainting and suffering a concussion Saturday and due to her ongoing stomach ailment.
“While suffering from a stomach virus, Secretary Clinton became dehydrated and fainted, sustaining a concussion,” Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Philippe Reines said in a statement. “She has been recovering at home and will continue to be monitored regularly by her doctors. At their recommendation, she will continue to work from home next week, staying in regular contact with Department and other officials. She is looking forward to being back in the office soon.”
Deputy Secretaries of State Bill Burns and Tom Nides will both testify in Clinton’s place, according to the office of Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry (D-MA).
Clinton may really have injured herself and if that is the case we should cut her some slack. Having said that, this is still unacceptable. Clinton is THE person who should be testifying, not two flunkies under her we’ve never heard of. All of this is nicely timed to fall apart right before the Christmas holidays.
Eat, drink and be fat and merry Americans… forget all about Secretary of State Clinton who will be resigning and is trying to escape having to testify to 4 Americans murdered by terrorists on her watch. That’s it, have another eggnog. Fire up the subpoena machine, Mr. Issa. You will not get her in to testify otherwise.
Related reading on Benghazi from LL1885 is here. Continue reading
For months we’ve heard nothing but lies about lies from this administration since four Americans were murdered by terrorists in Benghazi, Libya. One of the big questions that has plagued those following the story is why this administration chose to lie for weeks on end about the cause of the attack being an obscure YouTube video. We might finally be seeing a reason for that lie. From the NY Times, committing a random act of journalism:
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration secretly gave its blessing to arms shipments to Libyan rebels from Qatar last year, but American officials later grew alarmed as evidence grew that Qatar was turning some of the weapons over to Islamic militants, according to United States officials and foreign diplomats.
No evidence has emerged linking the weapons provided by the Qataris during the uprising against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi to the attack that killed four Americans at the United States diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in September.
But in the months before, the Obama administration clearly was worried about the consequences of its hidden hand in helping arm Libyan militants, concerns that have not previously been reported. The weapons and money from Qatar strengthened militant groups in Libya, allowing them to become a destabilizing force since the fall of the Qaddafi government.
The experience in Libya has taken on new urgency as the administration considers whether to play a direct role in arming rebels in Syria, where weapons are flowing in from Qatar and other countries.
The Obama administration did not initially raise objections when Qatar began shipping arms to opposition groups in Syria, even if it did not offer encouragement, according to current and former administration officials. But they said the United States has growing concerns that, just as in Libya, the Qataris are equipping some of the wrong militants.
The over the top, schoolyard like outrage feigned by this President over the criticism of Susan Rice now looks even more pathetic, as does this administration’s childish games of playing hot potato with who altered the now famous talking points.
This is looking like a Middle East version of Fast and Furious – or perhaps a terrorist version of a cartel turf war – if you read the Times piece to the end. There are several paragraphs dedicated to one Marc Turi, an arms merchant.
In March 2011, just as the Libyan civil war was intensifying, Mr. Turi realized that Libya could be a lucrative new market, and applied to the State Department for a license to provide weapons to the rebels there, according to e-mails and other documents he has provided. (American citizens are required to obtain United States approval for any international arms sales.)
He also e-mailed J. Christopher Stevens, then the special representative to the Libyan rebel alliance. The diplomat said he would “share” Mr. Turi’s proposal with colleagues in Washington, according to e-mails provided by Mr. Turi. Mr. Stevens, who became the United States ambassador to Libya, was one of the four Americans killed in the Benghazi attack on Sept. 11.
Mr. Turi’s application for a license was rejected in late March 2011. Undeterred, he applied again, this time stating only that he planned to ship arms worth more than $200 million to Qatar. In May 2011, his application was approved. Mr. Turi, in an interview, said that his intent was to get weapons to Qatar and that what “the U.S. government and Qatar allowed from there was between them.”
Two months later, though, his home near Phoenix was raided by agents from the Department of Homeland Security. Administration officials say he remains under investigation in connection with his arms dealings. The Justice Department would not comment.
Mr. Turi said he believed that United States officials had shut down his proposed arms pipeline because he was getting in the way of the Obama administration’s dealings with Qatar. The Qataris, he complained, imposed no controls on who got the weapons. “They just handed them out like candy,” he said.
Wherein this administration was possibly attempting to curtail US gun ownership via the orchestrated and botched gun running done during Fast and Furious, the Obama administration seemed to want to arm Arabs to the teeth.
It is noteworthy that the NY Times has already tried to insert itself into the administration’s narrative that this was about a YouTube video. (read: NY Times Inserts Itself Into Benghazi-gate)
The bigger questions surrounding the attack in Benghazi still remained unanswered. Hillary Clinton has yet to testify. At hearings last month, Clinton was unavailable. Mrs. Clinton made sweeping statements of responsibility then took off for Australia with Leon Panetta on “official business”. You’d think she’d know better after what she and Obama made sure Nakoula was jailed for making that video those pesky probation violations. (Related: Benghazi-Gate: Falling On Her Sword Edition – UPDATES also, LL1885’s Nakoula posts here.)
Why was only one small CIA team dispatched to Benghazi when the attack began? Panetta would have us believe the Benghazi consulate didn’t request any assistance. Anywhere from 50 to 100 armed terrorists were assaulting our consulate with heavy arms and mortar, yet Panetta said no one called for help. Pardon me, but bullshit, Sir. What a sad and insulting attempt to distract from the reports there were indeed calls for help and attempts to aid the consulate were met with ‘stand down’ orders. (Related: Inside Benghazi: “No practical training”)
Why is there no evidence suggesting this President was involved in any of the decision-making the night of the attack? He’s been less than modest to date with his drone conquests and football spiking over Bin Laden’s death. (Related: Where’s the #Benghazi Situation Room Photo Op?)
Why was security for this consulate and Ambassador Stevens scaled back when all evidence for over 6 months leading up to the attack on 9/11 pointed to the need for more security? Who denied him additional protection? Stevens himself wrote several cables requesting more security; he knew he was an assassination target. There was a violent history in the region and an attempt on the British Ambassador’s life. It’s pretty clear that this administration seems capable of defending only one Ambassador – their useful idiot, Susan Rice. (Related: Colonel: Hillary Made Decision Not to Post Marines at Benghazi)
LL1885’s Benghazi Related Posts:
#Benghazi: Obama’s Lack of Concern On Rice’s Lies (Updated)
#Benghazi: That Lie Was A Lie, But Shut Up Already.
#Benghazi: Another Lie Is Told (Updated)
#Benghazi: The Altered CIA Talking Points
#Benghazi: Lies, Lies and More Damned Lies
#Benghazi: Petraeus reported to testify despite resignation
#Benghazi, Petraeus: Who Knew and When
#Benghazi: Leaks, Resignations and More Questions
NPR’s Patronizing #Benghazi Report
Benghazi-Gate: Debate Lies
Media Desperate To Alter WH Benghazi Statement Timeline
Benghazi Twist – Video a patsy?
Benghazi-Gate: Get Under The Bus Edition
Biden Bungled Benghazi (Updated)
Benghazi Hearing Turns Into Blamefest; Rep. Cummings Forgets Amb. Stevens Name
Petraeus Testimony: Obama knew; talking points altered. Continue reading
Weekly Standard has this article with video. Emphasis added is mine:
In response to a question from reporter Major Garrett on whether the Obama administration’s mishandling of Benghazi raises “core questions of basic competency,” press secretary Jay Carney revealed that Barack Obama “is not particularly concerned” about whether Susan Rice misled the American people:[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fORePNOHqQo]
“What the president is worried about, Major, is what happened and why in Benghazi. He is not particularly concerned about whether the ambassador or I went out and talked about the fact that we believed extremists might have been responsible. And whether we named them as al Qaeda or not does not–no, it certainly doesn’t have any bearing on what happened and who was responsible as that investigation was continuing on Benghazi.”
Mr. Carney, last week, the President barked like a junkyard dog in defense of Susan Rice. The President stood at the podium and told us HE sent Rice out there.[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zqrsky39GYA]
Are you now telling us the President wants us to just blow off her lies? This after his own dramatic performance at his first press conference and the ridiculous trotting around by the Democratic women in the House crying racism and sexism?
It doesn’t have any bearing on the investigation? At what point do you people in the White House start to choke on your lies? This President knows exactly what happened there, he has since the beginning of the attack. Rice was instructed to lie by someone. Obama sent her out there. You do the math. Continue reading
Last week we were told by CBS news via a ‘source’ that Susan Rice’s talking points were edited by them. That was a lie and we all knew it.
Breitbart, emphasis added:
Last week, former CIA Chief Davis Petraeus testified that within a day he knew the assault on our consulate in Benghazi was a premeditated terrorist attack committed by a Libyan militia with ties to al-Qaeda. As a result, Petraeus authorized the release of this information to the public in talking points to be given to the White House and to lawmakers. CBS News reports that references to al-Qaeda were later removed by Office of the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) — an agency run by James Clapper, an Obama appointee. The FBI also made substantial edits.
But here’s where the plot thickens.
DNI spokesman Shawn Turner told CBS News, “The intelligence community assessed from the very beginning that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack.” He added that this classified information was shared with the White House. CBS News then quite correctly concludes that, as a member of Obama’s cabinet, Susan Rice would would’ve known this. All cabinet members are given classified briefings.
The bottom line, then, is that during her Sunday show appearances, Rice knew the information she was spreading was false.
The rest of the article echoes what I said last week — this proclamation that the talking points were edited for Rice by the DNI is just another lie. I contend this administration is intentionally muddying the waters. The Oversight committee cannot allow this to drag on as they did with Fast and Furious. An independent counsel must be assigned.
The claims of racism and sexism with regard to questioning Susan Rice’s competency are the standard Democrat response to any controversy they are questioned on, however the loudness and pervasiveness of their claims this time show their level of desperation. Just what else does this woman have to hide besides purposefully lying to the American people? The Democrats, and now their lap dog media, want Benghazi to go away and they want us all to shut up already. (Related: WaPo Plays The Race Card)
Related Reading: Doug Ross – CIA talking points edited by White House Continue reading
From Nice Deb:
For Some Reason, The White House Refuses To Release Photos Taken of WH Officials During 9/11 Benghazi Attacks
Interesting. On Oct.31, CBS News requested images of US officials taken in the White House on 9/11 and those requests have been denied by the White House Photo Office. As the always stellar Sharyl Attkisson notes, Obama stated during his press conference on Nov. 14, that his Administration has provided all information regarding “what happened in Benghazi.”
In the past, the White House has released photos showing US officials during national security incidents. A half dozen images related to the mission that captured and killed Osama bin Laden were given to the public last year. One depicts President Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and members of the national security team gathered in the Situation Room on May 1, 2011.
Think there’ll be any photos from the situation room on 9/11/2012 of Obama officials watching US citizens in Benghazi getting slaughtered in real time, and doing nothing about it?
There is a lot more, including the White House blowing off multiple requests for more details. Go read it.
Meanwhile, you can browse the album I made of the White House Situation room:
[youtube=http://youtu.be/AvE0QsSZHTk] Continue reading
Instead of handling the Fiscal Cliff or overseeing the FEMA’s slow movements in assisting hurricane Sandy victims, President Obama took off for Southeast Asia. There, he gave this speech in Burma; he prefers the military related name of Myanmar. I encourage you to read the whole thing, however don’t be drinking anything when you do because you will surely choke.
Here is the excerpt I wish to share, via History Musings:
And this truth leads me to the third freedom that I want to discuss: the freedom to worship — the freedom to worship as you please, and your right to basic human dignity.
This country, like my own country, is blessed with diversity. Not everybody looks the same. Not everybody comes from the same region. Not everybody worships in the same way. In your cities and towns, there are pagodas and temples, and mosques and churches standing side by side. Well over a hundred ethnic groups have been a part of your story. Yet within these borders, we’ve seen some of the world’s longest running insurgencies, which have cost countless lives, and torn families and communities apart, and stood in the way of development.
Freedom to worship as you please.
Tell that to Hobby Lobby, Mr. President. Tell that to the Catholic church. Tell that to the rest of the tax payers who will now be forced to fund abortion, contraception and the morning after pill and who are seeing their premiums soar.
Human Rights Watch: Burma
Business owners battle Obamacare for Religious Freedom Continue reading