THE FRIDAY FOCUS
Contempt of Congress Edition
Another Historic First for the Obama Administration. President Obama now has his very own version of Watergate to deal with only 5 months from election day. The big difference being no one died in Watergate. Holder is the second Attorney General to be held in contempt, the other being Janet Reno. Both were Democrat appointees with a love for C. Wilfred Jenks.
The Nuts and Bolts:
Obama invoked Executive Privilege in an attempt to save Holder, but thereby implicating the White House was involved.
After a drawn out and lively amendment addition session with , Attorney General Eric Holder was held in contempt of Congress on June 20th, 2012.
The Vote was 23-17 in favor of Contempt of Congress. It now goes to the House for a vote unless Holder turns over all the documents listed in the subpoena.
The Useful Links:
- Fast and Furious Investigation
- Congress’ Contempt Power and the Enforcement of Congressional Subpoenas
- New Documents: ATF used “Fast and Furious” to make the case for gun regulations
- CQ | Contempt Citation Would Carry Limited Legal Consequences
- Larwyn’s Linx: Fast and Furious: Covering up the Death of a U.S. Agent
- The Video No One Is Paying Attention To
The Media Spin Starts:
- Krauthammer: “There’s No Way the Mainstream Media Can Ignore This Anymore” (Video)
- Big Three on Fast & Furious: CBS Reports, ABC Downplays, NBC Spins
- Flashback to 2007: New York Times urged Congress to use all ‘contempt powers at its disposal’