CNN Foreign Policy Debate (11/22/11)
This is a rundown of links, video and a little of the Lady’s Take of the GOP debate held on November 22, 2011.
Full Video is here.
The Lady’s Take:
Preface: Did you even know or care there was another GOP Presidential debate last night? I admit I forgot and didn’t see any of it until this morning. My commentary will therefore be short. I did watch a large portion of it this morning and I am a bit confused as to why Egypt was not discussed.
My Impressions: There was one point in this debate where Gingrich was asked about immigration that everyone is going to mash and beat to death. In short, he said that we shouldn’t be ripping families apart that have been here but instead be helping them to use the existing path to citizenship. He’s had his position on his campaign site for a while now. I am a staunch anti-illegal immigration supporter and even I didn’t find his answer that shocking or surprising. Romney and Bachmann went after him on it. Romney because he has to take a bite somewhere and Bachmann because she has nothing to lose at this point. Judge his answer for yourself though, the full clip can be found in the video highlights section below:
“If you’ve come here recently, you have no ties to this country, you ought to go home, period,” said Gingrich. “If you’ve been here 25 years and you got three kids and two grandkids, you’ve been paying taxes and obeying the law, you belong to a local church, I don’t think we’re going to separate you from your family, uproot you forcefully and kick you out.”
“I don’t see how the party that says it’s the party of the family is going to adopt an immigration policy which destroys families that have been here a quarter century. And I’m prepared to take the heat for saying let’s be humane in enforcing the law without giving them citizenship but by finding a way to create legality so that they are not separated from their families.”
The Highlights: Newt separates himself from the pack on immigration. Rick Santorum agreed with Ron Paul on an issue – someone has to document that moment. Santorum: “I agree with Ron Paul. (sheepish look) We are not fighting a war on terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic.” Romney was stronger this debate than last. He seemed to find a rhythm. Cain is weak on foreign policy and everyone knows it. He managed to stay out of trouble this debate by being brief. Bachmann held her own and for me edges by Cain in this debate. Perry more than held his own and managed not to forget anything. His little battle with Bachmann on Pakistan hurt him a bit I think. I tend to side with Bachmann on Pakistan simply for the reason they have nukes and she’s sits on the Armed Services Committee. It’s clear she is speaking from a point of knowledge on this. Having said that, Pakistan needs to choose: either be our ally or as Newt said, get out of the way. Rick Santorum was less angry and it was clear he was trying hard to be less angry. By the way Rick, Africa is not a country. Ron Paul was Ron Paul. Nice to see. Huntsman, as always, should quit — what a smarmy SOB.
Clear winner of this debate was Newt Gingrich. The rest fall in behind him for me in this order: R0mney, Perry, Bachmann, Cain, Santorum, Paul, Huntsman.
The Useful Links:
- CNN: Obama is FDR « Don Surber
- GOP Smackdown: Gingrich v. Romney – Jonah Goldberg – National Review Online
- PJ Media » Drunkblogging Tonight’s GOP Debate in DC
- Newt Wins–For Now – By Rich Lowry – The Corner – National Review Online
- If Newt wins the nomination, last night was the watershed moment – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
- Video Clip of the Night from what’s his name – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
- Perry vs Bachmann suspending aid to Pakistan | The Right Scoop
- Bachmann: Perry’s position on cutting off aid to Pakistan is “highly naive” « Hot Air
- Michele Bachmann | Pakistan Nuclear Weapons | House Intelligence Committee | The Daily Caller
- Newt: Pakistan should help us or get out of our way | The Right Scoop
- That Was Bold… Newt Gingrich Pushes Amnesty Plan at CNN GOP Debate (Video) | The Gateway Pundit
- Gingrich: Let’s face it, we shouldn’t be deporting illegals who have been here for 25 years; Update: Romney camp rips Gingrich for supporting “amnesty” « Hot Air
- 21st Century Contract with America | Newt Gingrich 2012
- CNN – GOP National Security Debate From Washington DC | The Gateway Pundit
- GOP Candidates | Cybersecurity | CNN Debate | The Daily Caller
- Did Rick Santorum Really Call Africa a ‘Country?’ | Video | TheBlaze.com
- GOP Foreign Policy Debate | Video | TheBlaze.com
- Michele Bachmann Spars with Rick Perry Over Aid to Pakistan During CNN Debate | Video | TheBlaze.com
The Video Highlights:
Newt On Immigration:
The Field on Immigration:
The Ron Paul Great Pumpkin Highlight Reel:
Highlight Reel (Paul/Gingrich battle included):