Sign the Petition. Tell Gov. McCrory To Stop Common Core
Hit The Lady’s Tip Jar!
The Latest from The Lady
- #DM7 Article: What does your higher education dollar buy these days?
- #NCGA Bill Would Change Legislator Terms, Elections
- The Common Core Weekend Reads – 3-29-15
- GUEST POST: Phoolish Pharma Phunded Phaux Health Crisis Leads to Phascism
- How Does Rep. Craig Horn Define Proficiency and Rigor?
- Pearson Is Everywhere: Who Writes These Tests, Anyhow?
- #NCGA Bill Proposing Sales Tax Changes Sounds Like Obama’s “Fair Share”
- #SB480 Would Block Politicking In Schools. NCAE and Progress NC’s ‘AimHigher’ Hardest Hit?
- Alamance Elections Board Sued Over Handling of Public Records Requests
- Consolidation of Ed Data Continues With McCrory Proposal To Move DNPE
Past Musings from The Lady
Tag Archives: Condoms
Over the weekend it became known that ‘welcome bags’ containing condoms had been distributed to some Cabarrus county high schoolers. This violates state statutes and in response to the story breaking, Cabarrus’s Chief Communications Officer Ronnye Boone issued a statement.
A student group at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College hands out welcome packets to students at the beginning of the school year,” said Ronnye Boone, chief communications officer for Cabarrus County Schools, on Tuesday. “Some of those welcome packets were given to Early College High School students. Within those, there were condoms. They were not intended for Early College students. They were intended for RCCC students, and they were mistakenly given to Early College students.”
If they were intended for RCCC students, then what were they doing distributing them at a high school?
KEEP READING.. THERE’S MORE. Continue reading
After receiving a tip from a parent in Carbarrus county that condoms were being given out in “Welcome Bags” to high school students, I filed a Freedom of Information request with Carbarrus County Schools.
The response to the question were condoms distributed was a ‘yes’. A representative from Cabarrus County Schools however indicated the school itself did not distribute them. Instead, persons from Rowan-Cabarrus Community College gave out these “Welcome Bags”.
If you ask me, that’s splitting hairs by Cabarrus County Schools. They didn’t give the condoms out themselves, but allowed an outside group to do so? Weak.
I also included a request for information regarding the Gay-Straight-Alliance (GSA), which according to a parent was being actively promoted by a teacher at a Cabarrus school. The response was there were ‘no communications’ on that topic that the Cabarrus official was aware of. Perhaps we should check the emails at Cox Mills High, where GSA is listed as an extra-curricular activities club. Maybe we should look at North Rowan High?
Email exchange: Continue reading