Hillary Clinton finally made her way to Congress and testified on the Benghazi attacks this week. She managed to not wipe out again, God bless her. We were treated to quite a spectacle — and a double feature one at that, as Clinton testified before the House Foreign Affairs Committee Hearing and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
She lied, obfuscated, possibly committed perjury and enjoyed having her ass kissed by every single Democrat prior to their asking her questions the equivalent of, ‘so, how’s the weather?’. It was less of a hearing and more of a groupie love fest. Clinton took responsibility yet only for what she wanted to. Nothing of any consequence was her fault. Clinton is Secretary of State, yet claimed to know nothing very useful. Instead, we should all look forward to how we can stop this from happening in the future. She referred back to ARB on nearly every question. It was pathetic and infuriating, but typical and expected testimony.
Only a few managed to ask her with any questions of any depth. None of them were Democrats. What a shocker, right? Rep. Rand Paul, Sen. John McCain, Rep. Jeff Duncan and Rep. Dana Rohrabacher were the only ones to land any real punches.
As Bryan Preston at the PJ Tatler notes:
As a result, they never laid a glove on her.
As a result, the Benghazi cover-up remains covered up.
As a result, accountability is dead in Washington. At least, for Democrats. It’s still open season on Republicans.
There was so much wrong with her testimony, it is hard to know where to start. Let’s hit the high notes. First, let’s review:
The YouTube Video being the reason for the Benghazi attack was a lie told by every major mouthpiece of this administration. Got all that? Good. Now, read on.
The most remembered part of her entire testimony, and one that will come back to haunt her should she decide to run in 2016, was when she blew up at Sen. Ron Johnson when he dared question her why this administration lied for almost a month about the cause of the attack:
When she came out with this all I could see were flashbacks to Bill and his ring-around-the rosy semantics games, lying and denials of having ‘sexual relations with that woman’. Same tactic, just with some judo-chop action to the table and a few crocodile tears.
It makes a big difference to one person I can think of right off the top of my head. Claiming you never saw or heard about the cables from Ambassador Stevens that detailed specific threats and were begging for more security is at best comparable to saying the dog ate your homework. You’re Secretary of State. One of your primary job descriptors is to keep our embassies, consulates and personnel overseas secure and safe. You failed. Bang your fists on whatever desks you want, your kabuki theater is insulting.
Madam Secretary, that you seem to think that perpetrating as monstrous a lie as this administration did, blaming a YouTube trailer when you knew damn well that wasn’t the case, somehow doesn’t matter at this point is beyond astounding. It matters — it was lie willingly and knowingly told by this administration and by you too, madam. It was a lie told in desperation to cover up something bigger or to just cover your own ass for gross negligence of duty and failed leadership. I think it might be both and that’s horrific. (Related: Hillary Clinton still refuses to say Benghazi wasn’t caused by the Muhammad video » The Right Scoop )
It’s the funding
It wasn’t overly long before an attempt to blame the lack of security on funding cuts, by Republicans of course. Rep. George Meeks pushed the funding lie back into view after he wiped the drool from his chin. Rep. Engel was eager to pile on. Just ignore the wasted millions Clinton spent on a consulate that will never open. Nothing to see there. (Read: It’s True. Hillary Clinton State Department Blew $80 Million on Mazar-e Sharif Consulate That Will Never Open | The Gateway Pundit)
The lack of funding issue had already been debunked in the initial hearings by Charlene Lamb, but why trouble ourselves with facts. You can read Lamb’s testimony here. (Related: State Dep’t rep: “We had the correct number of [security] assets in Benghazi” « Hot Air) Pretty soon, it wasn’t just funding cuts, somehow Bush and WMD’s were to blame, courtesy of the Congressional Village Idiot, Dick Durbin.
Two thing stick out to me in her testimony overall. One – Clinton contradicted known statements about watching the siege live. Two - Throughout the two sessions, Clinton denied seeing or knowing about cables from Ambassador Stevens, yet multiple times she refers to all of the critical information she has readily available to her from a variety of sources. Clinton even went as far as to detail several past and current threats. Either she’s lying or she’s more incompetent than talk show puppet Susan Rice. My money is on lying; there is no way she could have not been aware of the threats posed there given number of them and the history. Colleague and LL1885 Blog author, Liberty Speaks, has sent me a .pdf of the declassified cables dealing with concerns over security in Benghazi which are located on Scribd. I would encourage reading them. Of interest: Pgs. 38, 42-45, 52.
In summary: Dog and Pony Show.
Sharyl Attkisson has her work cut out for her. Still.
- No one has been fired. Clinton is responsible but won’t answer any questions; according to her testimony, we just have to make sure this doesn’t happen again and stop trying to get to the bottom of it.
- No one has been named as responsible for cutting the security.
- No answer on why no help was sent, just excuses.
- No answer on why this administration chose to push an obvious lie (the video) on the American people and the world, resulting in the jailing of an American citizen.
- Clinton on Benghazi story confusion: ‘What difference at this point does it make!?’ [VIDEO] - The Daily Caller
- Rand Paul to Hillary: Let’s face it, you should have been fired over Benghazi - Hot Air
- Video: Rep. Duncan to Hillary: “I’ll tell you what difference it makes…” - Nice Deb
- GOP Congressman To Clinton: “The Only Person That’s In Jail Right Now Is The [Mohammed] Filmmaker”… - Weasel Zippers
- Rep. Duncan to Hillary: You let the consulate in Benghazi become a death trap - The Right Scoop
- Rand Paul slams Hillary: If I had been president I would have fired you - The Right Scoop
- Barbara Boxer tries to launch Hillary’s 2016 campaign at Benghazi hearing - Michelle Malkin
- GOP Congressman: ‘I Just Wish You Had Won the Democratic Primary in 2008′ - The Weekly Standard
Related Must Reads:
- JW Special Report: “The Benghazi Attack of September 11, 2012: Analysis and Further Questions” – Judicial Watch
- Rush: No ‘coincidence’ Hillary debt was paid the week of Benghazi hearings - The Daily Caller
- “What Difference Does it Make?” Plenty - Commentary Magazine
- 3 Incredibly Outrageous Evasions by Hillary Clinton About Benghazi - Hit & Run : Reason.com
- 6 Things You Need to Know About Clinton’s Benghazi Testimony – Washington Free Beacon
- Why it matters whether Benghazi was terrorism or not. - Moe Lane
- State Dept Does Nothing About Benghazi Attackers, But Algeria Does - Maggie’s Notebook
- Sept. 11 Benghazi attackers found among terrorists attacking Algerian gas complex - The Right Scoop
- LL1885′s posts on Benghazi and Benghazi-gate