#Benghazi: Looking Like A Middle East Fast and Furious

For months we’ve heard nothing but lies about lies from this administration since four Americans were murdered by terrorists in Benghazi, Libya. One of the big questions that has plagued those following the story is why this administration chose to lie for weeks on end about the cause of the attack being an obscure YouTube video. We might finally be seeing a reason for that lie. From the NY Times, committing a random act of journalism:

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration secretly gave its blessing to arms shipments to Libyan rebels from Qatar last year, but American officials later grew alarmed as evidence grew that Qatar was turning some of the weapons over to Islamic militants, according to United States officials and foreign diplomats.

No evidence has emerged linking the weapons provided by the Qataris during the uprising against Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi to the attack that killed four Americans at the United States diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in September.

But in the months before, the Obama administration clearly was worried about the consequences of its hidden hand in helping arm Libyan militants, concerns that have not previously been reported. The weapons and money from Qatar strengthened militant groups in Libya, allowing them to become a destabilizing force since the fall of the Qaddafi government.

The experience in Libya has taken on new urgency as the administration considers whether to play a direct role in arming rebels in Syria, where weapons are flowing in from Qatar and other countries.

The Obama administration did not initially raise objections when Qatar began shipping arms to opposition groups in Syria, even if it did not offer encouragement, according to current and former administration officials. But they said the United States has growing concerns that, just as in Libya, the Qataris are equipping some of the wrong militants.

The over the top, schoolyard like outrage feigned by this President over the criticism of Susan Rice now looks even more pathetic, as does this administration’s childish games of playing hot potato with who altered the now famous talking points.

This is looking like a Middle East version of Fast and Furious – or perhaps a terrorist version of a cartel turf war –  if you read the Times piece to the end.  There are several paragraphs dedicated to one Marc Turi, an arms merchant.

In March 2011, just as the Libyan civil war was intensifying, Mr. Turi realized that Libya could be a lucrative new market, and applied to the State Department for a license to provide weapons to the rebels there, according to e-mails and other documents he has provided. (American citizens are required to obtain United States approval for any international arms sales.)

He also e-mailed J. Christopher Stevens, then the special representative to the Libyan rebel alliance. The diplomat said he would “share” Mr. Turi’s proposal with colleagues in Washington, according to e-mails provided by Mr. Turi. Mr. Stevens, who became the United States ambassador to Libya, was one of the four Americans killed in the Benghazi attack on Sept. 11.

Mr. Turi’s application for a license was rejected in late March 2011. Undeterred, he applied again, this time stating only that he planned to ship arms worth more than $200 million to Qatar. In May 2011, his application was approved. Mr. Turi, in an interview, said that his intent was to get weapons to Qatar and that what “the U.S. government and Qatar allowed from there was between them.”

Two months later, though, his home near Phoenix was raided by agents from the Department of Homeland Security. Administration officials say he remains under investigation in connection with his arms dealings. The Justice Department would not comment.

Mr. Turi said he believed that United States officials had shut down his proposed arms pipeline because he was getting in the way of the Obama administration’s dealings with Qatar. The Qataris, he complained, imposed no controls on who got the weapons. “They just handed them out like candy,” he said.

Wherein this administration was possibly attempting to curtail US gun ownership via the orchestrated and botched gun running done during Fast and Furious, the Obama administration seemed to want to arm Arabs to the teeth.

It is noteworthy that the NY Times has already tried to insert itself into the administration’s narrative that this was about a YouTube video. (read: NY Times Inserts Itself Into Benghazi-gate)

The bigger questions surrounding the attack in Benghazi  still remained unanswered. Hillary Clinton has yet to testify.  At hearings last month, Clinton was unavailable. Mrs. Clinton made sweeping statements of responsibility then took off for Australia with Leon Panetta on “official business”. You’d think she’d know better after what she and Obama made sure Nakoula was jailed for making that video those pesky probation violations.  (Related: Benghazi-Gate: Falling On Her Sword Edition – UPDATES also, LL1885’s Nakoula posts here.)

Why was only one small CIA team dispatched to Benghazi when the attack began? Panetta would have us believe the Benghazi consulate didn’t request any assistance. Anywhere from 50 to 100 armed terrorists were assaulting our consulate with heavy arms and mortar, yet Panetta said no one called for help. Pardon me, but bullshit, Sir. What a sad and insulting attempt to distract from the reports there were indeed calls for help and attempts to aid the consulate were met with ‘stand down’ orders. (Related: Inside Benghazi: “No practical training”)

Why is there no evidence suggesting this President was involved in any of the decision-making the night of the attack? He’s been less than modest to date with his drone conquests and football spiking over Bin Laden’s death. (Related: Where’s the #Benghazi Situation Room Photo Op?)

Why was security for this consulate and Ambassador Stevens scaled back when all evidence for over 6 months leading up to the attack on 9/11 pointed to the need for more security?  Who denied him additional protection? Stevens himself wrote several cables requesting more security; he knew he was an assassination target. There was a violent history in the region and an attempt on the British Ambassador’s life. It’s pretty clear that this administration seems capable of defending only one Ambassador – their useful idiot, Susan Rice. (Related: Colonel: Hillary Made Decision Not to Post Marines at Benghazi)

LL1885’s Benghazi Related Posts:

About these ads

About ladyliberty1885

I'm a Conservative minded mother and wife living in the Triangle area of NC. I began writing in 2009 via my LadyLiberty1885 blog. My writing can also be found at DaTechGuy, WatchdogWire - NC, StopCommonCoreNC.org, TheConMom and at WizBang. I also write science fiction novellas that are, as of yet, unpublished and dabble in other genres from time to time.
This entry was posted in 9/11, CIA, Foreign Affairs and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.